PW has learned that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt has asked its editors to stop buying books.
Josef Blumenfeld, v-p of communications for HMH, confirmed that the publisher has “temporarily stopped acquiring manuscripts” across its trade and reference divisions. The directive was given verbally to a handful of executives and, according to Blumenfeld, is “not a permanent change.”” —HMH Places “Temporary” Halt on Acquisitions - 11/24/2008 12:54:00 PM - Publishers Weekly
WATCHMEN II - man, Hollywood is so awesome - I can’t wait!
Although I’ve gotten some outraged e-mails from fans, I have to say this isn’t unexpected. Both DC and Marvel are in a weird place right now — are they publishing companies in a dying market or IP companies in a growing one? The answers to these questions demand different strategies, neither of which are necessarily the best circumstances for the creative participants.
Time to go creator-owned, and digitally distributed. Because that’s the only solution that makes sense for our side of the equation.” —Kung Fu Monkey: BLUE BEETLE: We Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Floppies
- Me: you have seen the trek trailer yes?
- Friend: yes.
- Me: a little kid that just wrecked a CAR shouting "My name is James Tiberius Kirk!" is one of the most laughable moments I have seen in quite some time
- Me: not in a good way
- Friend: yeahhh
- Friend: it was bad.
- Me: Plus - I don't know why - but I hate that little kid
- Friend: I'm with you.
- Me: Kirk telling Spock to "buckle up" - WTF?
- Friend: siiigh
- Me: in the 23RD Century ?!?
- Me: that is beyond stupid
- Friend: shhhhh
- Friend: that was an antique car he wrecked, too.
- Friend: so who knows?
- Me: ugh
- Me: UGH
- Friend: hehehe
- Friend: it will be terrible
- Me: The only thing that felt like trek was the McCoy bit - which i thought was really funny
- but at least you're prepared.
- Friend: I could barely hear it.
- Me: it is hard to hear - but it is pretty Dr, McCoy
- Friend: I'll rewatch and keep an ear out.
- Friend: I like Karl Urban.
- Friend: I think he's the best-cast person.
- Me: I predict that guy is the bright spot - yeah
- 5: 00 PM
- Me: Like a little kid just drinks a whole bottle of wine and when the cop catches him he shouts: "My name is jean-Luc Picard!"
- Friend: hahahahaha
- Friend: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
- Me: Next generation babies
- Me: why not
- Me: don't go half-ass
- Friend: the beginning of the trailer looks like Brian Singer Superman to me.
- Friend: Simon Pegg looks okay
- Friend: but yeah
- Friend: McCoy
- Friend: very grumpy.
- 5: 05 PM
- Me: a little girl breaks her toy test tubes and when the teacher walks up to her she shouts "My name is katheyn Janeway!"
- Me: do it all
- Me: little Sisco
- Me: little worf
- Friend: prune juice!
- Friend: you need to calm down
- Friend: and just think about how shiny the bridge of the Enterprise is
- Friend: and how their genius bar is probably *totally* awesome
- Friend: and you can get the new Apple iTricorder.
- Me: God
- Me: I had seizures looking at that bridge
- Friend: the kids these days need flashy things!
- Friend: don't hate, appreciate!
- Me: ha ha ha - oh jesus
- Me: poor Star trek
- Me: I'll always remember the cake days
- Me: late original crew and mid-next generation era - we never knew how good we had it...
Current Hollywood writers/producers/douchebags that are horribly overrated:
1) JJ Abrams
2) Joss Whedon (Please don’t ask me if I have seen Firefly - yes I have)
3) Seth Rogen - NONE OF THIS ASSHOLE’S MOVIES ARE FUNNY - NONE OF THEM!
4) Seth Green - I am not even really sure what this guy does, but Jesus he is unfunny.
Many more soon - but for now that is all.